Saturday, April 27, 2013

The Awesomeness of the Nylon Bolts

O, what a fine choice the nylon bolt were! Already I'm seeing many tiny boons...

First, in preparation for removing the heads so they might be glued into holes drilled into the surrounds, I marked the "good" end of each bolt -- the end that would not be cut, and would therefore still admit the screwing on of a nut. I'd made the error of gluing in the wrong end once before; sadness ensued as I yet again had to re-do work! Look how nicely the sharpie marks show up on these bolts!


Once marking was done, sawing of the bolt heads commenced. Turned out the complicated "securely clamp bolt to table, attempt to saw wiggly bolt" method was not needed because...


the nylon bolt heads could easily be snipped off with scissors!! Woooooo! Yes, I'm easily pleased.


Sixteen bolts prepped for installing into the surrounds:


Drilling the bolt-holes into the resin produced these fun spirally ejection ribbons of resin residue. Poetic!


Here's a test fit of one of the bezels. I'm using the bezels to make sure all of the lights will look as straight as possible within the surrounds. One more neat feature of the nylon bolts is that they are mildly bendy, so there's some forgiveness there for any holes that were not drilled perfectly perpendicular to the surround. I'm sure none of them are perfect actually, as I did the drilling freehand!


Next up: glue! Unfortunately today is reeeaaaaalllly humid, so work had to stop. Still getting used to this Texas weather...hope to be back building soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment