Monday, April 22, 2013

The EXTREMELY Long-Overdue Celebration Post!



Hello fans of the scruffy yellow almost-droid! I'm finally getting back into building my buddy, and I realized I'd never followed up with pictures from last year's CVI!

Let's get caught up then, shall we?

My droid arrived safely via the Droid Transport, and I wheeled him into the Droid Room at the Convention Center. After being assigned a spot, I got him into place.


It was such fun to watch the room fill up with Astromechs of every designation!


I'd ordered a banner stand and here I pose in front of it, along with my placard. Blurry pic courtesy of my husband ;-).


A friend dropped by with his nice camera and took this shot:


One of my goals for the event was to attempt to make some progress on the installation of the electronics, as I knew there would be a wealth of wisdom present. Below is my supply box -- I'd packed everything I imagined would be needed! Turns out I'd not bought several critical things, but JEDI Control Designer Scott Gray came to my rescue! 


Here began the fancy installation process, where I used a ton of duct tape to test fit stuff:


Thanks to the attentive tutelage of Scott, my droid shone for the first time!! I tried to buy him a drink later, (Scott, not my droid haha!) but he already had one...so, next Celebration I owe you one Scott!


There were several critical things I learned: 
1 - the circuit boards should not press up against the metal. I'm still working on how I'm going to resolve that long-term. 
2 - I need to take apart the entire dome and drill holes to install the electronics if I don't want to worry about them dropping out all the time. I think Victor's blog had a whole section on that! 
3 - It's pretty fun to be actually working on one's droid at these public events. It really brings it home to folks that we're BUILDERS!

This is how the work table looked while the lights were being installed:


And for the last day of CVI my droid sparkled!


Now that I'm all caught up, it's time to get back to building! It's been about 3 years since I started my astromech...and I really want to see if I can get him done SOON!

No comments:

Post a Comment