Wednesday, April 24, 2013

More Shinies!


Upon my return from CVI, I'd basically just tossed all my droid stuff in a few boxes, which promptly got buried in the back of our junk yard utility room. After several major renovation projects on the house that utility room looked like a hardware store had exploded in there! I finally convinced the Mr. that it was time to organize it -- and it took a full day, but we did it! Droid parts excavated, I was ready to start the leg of the build that I like to call "finishing." As in: it's been 3 years -- and I'd like to enjoy my droid someday -- so it's time to buckle down and get in some quality droid-building time!

In the Droid Room during CVI Scott Gray, inventor of the JEDI Control/Display electronics system, had walked me through a few basic installation tip, and we'd gotten the FLDs going, and duct-taped into my dome. FLDs are the cool blue and white twinkly lights that shine out from the double rectangle windows on the front of R2 - FLD stands for Front Logic Display. 

We didn't have time to do more at the convention, but I left grateful to Scott for the instruction (and the invention!), and feeling much more confident.

Yesterday I decided to hook up the rest of the JEDI Display by myself. It took hours of careful re-reading of the documentation before I felt ready to begin, but once I'd gathered the needed tools and supplies it went really quickly! I decided to control the nest of wires by labeling them. Clearly. With GIGANTIC labels. :-D


I only hit one snag: After initial hook-up, I couldn't get the RLD (that's Rear Logic Display) to work. Hmmmm... I looked over all my connections with a magnifying glass, finding nothing loosely seated. Eventually I discovered the obvious: I'd forgotten to run power to it! 

The lights are soooo shiny! Tomorrow I have a plan to get them installed, and a nice rainy stay-at-home day on tap. Wooo! 




No comments:

Post a Comment