Friday, May 3, 2013

Meet "Dizzy!"

Yes, my droid finally has a designation! I'd been thinking about it all this time, and let's face it: R2-?? just wasn't very catchy. I've finally settled on R2-DZ or "Dizzy." I have a feeling this name will suit him well!

Sooooo, on to the build log, eh?

I began today's work back in the dome, gluing in the screws for the electronics (today was a perfect day for gluing and painting once the wind died down). Again, I used the bezels to make sure they'd look straight from the outside.


The glue I used was plumber's "goop." I searched but couldn't find a glue recommended for resin to nylon. Weird, but sometimes Google does not help, even with my mad word combining skills! ;-) Anyway, I utilized some beer caps to pool goop in, and dipped the rough end of each nylon bolt.


Then the glue-y ends got popped into the holes I'd drilled last time.


I want to be sure that glue really sets/cures, so I set the dome aside and switched to something completely different. 

I'd earlier vacillated back and forth between using the styrene legs I'd cut, or the A&A legs I'd bought long ago. After a year or so to think about it, and after weighing both sets and finding out there was only about a 3.5 lb difference in the weights, I went ahead with the A&A set. I even still had the PVC glue on hand, unopened, from when I'd bought these! Mind you, I'd have chosen the styrene legs if I still didn't have a bit of work to do on them...but I'm on a bit of a roll droid-wise, and really want to get him DONE! 

The method was fairly straightforward: test fit, apply PVC glue, affix, and clamp. I used some old 6-32 bolts I had lying around to poke into some of the holes to help with the accuracy of placement. I'd let each layer set up, then move on to the next.


I decided to pop my motor wires in that channel now, as it seemed a bit slim and I didn't want to have to jam them in later. This was a great idea, let me tell ya! :-D


Part way through - and as the legs are handed (yes, I think that's funny too) - I kept them labelled at all times.


Taking a break from the stinky glue to quickly slap some paint on the ankle bracelets. From blogs I've read doing this now will be a thing I do not regret, as they need to be put on soooooon!


While getting the ankle portion ready to glue I noticed a thin film on one side of each piece. Weird! This was not mentioned in the instructions, but logic tells us not to try applying glue to it, so away it was peeled!


One down, one to go...(and when I got to that other leg, sure enough, I'd gotten a bit tired and began making handedness errors...luckily I caught them before the glue was truly set!)


These white pieces are slippery, and clamps made them slide around, so here I'm using a battery to set the pieces.


Aaaaaand: two legs nearly all done! Tomorrow I hope to get them skinned, and to start painting all of their resin details...it's also time to start thinking about the hardware I'll need for those details, and for mounting the legs to the frame! Whew -- bit of a long day, but it's nice to see some real progress again!


No comments:

Post a Comment