Friday, July 8, 2011

Talkin' 'Bout the Weather

I was hoping to have all the body parts installed by the end of today, but alas: all things droid take TWICE as long as one plans!!

Anyway, here is a better (somewhat) shot of the weathering I did on parts yesterday. I really went to town with weathering today...but first I needed to finish a few parts.



I believe I forgot to mention that these odd flat things I've been working on are called "A&A skin extras." I ordered them because, I'll be honest, I was tired of cutting styrene. They were still a lot of work, so don't think I started being a slacker or anything.

Anyway, I thought I'd finish the gluing of these parts by noon today. Wrong. Half the time they were glued to my own fingers. Or the squares I was trying to use to make sure they were nicely perpendicular.





Aaaaand multiply the above by about 80 and you have most of my day. Once those side parts were dry I was supposed to wrangle them into these adorable slots:



Here I am wrangling them. And getting more glue all over my fingertips.



Today I decided to get a picture of Krazy Glue+fingertip Action:



Pretty, no? Anyway, I plugged along and the parts came together:



I'm glad I prepainted. That saves me masking all those bits off, at least.



Hooray! Almost halfway done!! *quiet sobs*



Starting on the next set...



I'll spare you and skip ahead; suffice to say it was more of the same. Trying to true things up, long minutes with 1/2-glued fingers shakily holding edges down...anyway, here is the second set (and yeah, I'm jumping ahead to the weathered pics):



And the first set weathered. I loved the weathering! It was fun to smudge and spatter. I'm looking forward to doing the whole droid when I'm to that point!



I was still hoping to install all these body parts today so I started trimming the "center vent surrounds."



I did this freehand -- no line drawn out ahead of time! I'm such a wild child.



Came out perfect. Here I test fit the innards:



As happened yesterday...a bunch of photos vanished off my camera. Ugh.

The rest of the day was spent clear-coating the weathered parts, and painting the last body parts silver and yellow. Only the yellow parts pic survived. Still, it's pretty sweet!



Tomorrow, I hope, hope, HOPE to get some of these stuck on my droid's body!! For now...rest...

No comments:

Post a Comment