Thursday, July 7, 2011

Body Parts -- No, Not a New Horror Novel!

For the last few days my updates have been off by a day due to when I post; today I'll put the last few days' progress up, and that should catch us up to this morning.

First I needed to primer some of the body parts:



If you see primer or paint with this sort of mechanism AVOID IT! Both of these failed on me today...one actually flew apart!



At least I was successful at getting the first layer down, the yellow:



While the paint was drying I began assembly of the styrene flat parts I'd sorted. I began with the "coin returns." I love the names the club gave some of these parts!





(not pictured: me getting Krazy Glue all over my fingertips!)

Assembly of the center vents was a bit difficult due to little tabs being present that had no matching slots. My solution was to slice 'em off!



There we go!



I decided to paint these before assembly. Oddly, from this point on, half my photos went missing.
I sorted the bits into parts to be painted aluminum, and parts to be painted yellow. You'll have to trust me on this. XD



Before painting I took the time to mask off the now-dry yellow parts that I needed to remain yellow. Rather than use tape, I decided to try some of my old liquid frisket.



I tried two different types. The one pictured below worked the best, as it was thicker.



Testing the frisket:



That stuff will ruin your paintbrushes. Be sure to have lots of cheap paintbrushes on hand for building Artoo!



Finally it got cool enough to do a little painting:



I had several nice shots of the final frisket removal (worked like a charm), but they have vanished. So here we jump ahead to my first weathering of a part.


Aaaand some more finished parts, ready to be stuck on R2!



That brings us up-to-date! More work tomorrow... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment