Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Something Old, Something New...

Another pretty productive day in Bith's Droid Dining-Room!

Wanting to play some more with the new toy (my real drill press), I dug out my utility arms, and drilled out the area where I'll insert a bolt so they can move.



Then I inserted some plastic spacers I'd bought. I tested them with the bolts, and the bolts not only did not fit, they were too short! I tried a few thinner bolts, but the arm flapped around too much. I realized that I really should have bought the threaded spacers called for. Must go searching for those!




Next it was time to enlarge my dome ring holes a bit (I'm showing how I checked to be sure the ring was level):



That worked really well! I added some washers to be sure that the ring sat upon the Rockler perfectly. Because the horizontal part of the ring is not perfectly level, each bolt required a different number of washers. To ensure the ring was always placed back in the same space I marked each ring/area of the Rockler bearing with a color code:



Next I finally installed the (pesky) Radar Eye!! Looks pretty good, and I am calling it DONE!



I thought I'd move on to the legs next...and here's a bit of back-story: months ago I'd devised a plan for some special weathering, but I needed the legs to be solid for this, rather than hollow (as found in the styrene plans). So, even though I'd already cut out my styrene legs, I purchased a set of A&A PVC legs.

I spent some time labeling parts, and getting things organized. Then, I did some test-fitting to see how things went together. Hmmm. These are a LOT heavier than I was expecting. I'll admit I'm worried about whether or not my styrene frame can handle these.



I think I'm going to set these aside, and start building my styrene legs instead. I'll see later which ones will actually go on my droid. If I don't use these I'll just sell them at cost on astromech.net.

Busy day tomorrow, but I'm going to try to get to the hardware store for leg stuff. I should be back to building in a couple of days! (I'm actually pretty bummed I have to take a day off...haha!)

No comments:

Post a Comment