Wednesday, February 2, 2011

On With The Eye, and Servo Fun!

*sigh* O Radar Eye, you pesky thang! Today was affix-you-to-the-dome day...

Let's back up a bit: a few posts ago I sawed off the head of the bolts to be inserted into the back of the radar eye. On that day I remember telling myself "be sure to insert the sawed end into the radar eye, so you'll be able to get the nuts on the other end that doesn't have ruined threads!"

So guess what I forgot and therefore did wrong? Yep, I'd glued the wrong end in! Just on one of them, but... :-(

I'll see what I can do to fix it tomorrow, but here is the placement at least:



I needed to feel a sense of accomplishment, so I moved on to another part of the project. I tested my latest hardware purchase, and it looked like it would work, so I proceeded to assemble the holoprojector servo unit. 4-40 X 1" machine screws seemed to be the magic ones! Order of assembly proved crucial too -- I had to take it apart several times to figure that out...

First the "popsicle sticks" as I started to call them:



Then the ring with many holes:



Then, the other ring. I actually had to undo the previous screws to affix this, then reattach. Kinda hard to explain. But it has to do with both room to work, and the length of the screws.



After much fussing (I reversed the screws on the popsicle sticks for one thing) here it is! I need to get some paper clips to run from the servos. I think? We shall see!



I'll come back to the rest of this at some future time (like when I start working on the electronics). Tomorrow I'll deal with that eye, and maybe install the Rockler bearing!

1 comment:

  1. hi, one question? it has the planes of the mechanism of the holos. thank you very much

    ReplyDelete