Monday, January 10, 2011

You Must Undo What You Have Done!

Yes, that's a mangled Yoda-ism. :-)

What did I have to undo? Well, a bit of painting. You see, one should not paint where one intends to apply glue, because then the bond will only be as strong as the paint's bond to whatever it's on. I guess I forgot that I'd be gluing my dome bits on, because I should have masked off the glue areas. Since I didn't, I got to sand off those areas! Extra work, just for meeee!



Once I'd finished the sanding job I decided to install the cabochons in my holoprojectors. We are warned in the instructions that this is a tricky job -- but the first one went in easily! Lulled and overconfident I became, yeessss.

The second and third cabochons took forever to get done -- and I had to invent a way! After using the retaining clip tool to get the clip in partway the tools would then fail, leaving me with a clip that couldn't be gripped! I ended up using a small hammer on a screwdriver to drive the clip down. It really tore up the inside of the HP, but I think it'll pass muster.





I'd planned to glue in the little felt bits, but the recommended CA glue was nowhere to be found amongst my rapidly-growing glue collection! Will have to go buy some later... grrrr!

No comments:

Post a Comment