Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Scrubbity, scrubbity...

Today was resin parts prep day. I need to remove the release agent from all my resin parts - I'd been saving this chore until I had every part I'm planning to use on my droid. Following Keith's instructions each part was swabbed with alcohol, scrubbed and soaked, rinsed and wiped dry. Woo, it was just like washing a massive load of dishes!!



Here they all are, ready for trimming (as needed), sanding, primering, painting etc.



Remembering horror stories I'd read on astromech.net about storing painted parts, everything I was not going to be working with immediately was packed up again. I also discovered that I missed ordering enough ankle cylinders, so I've either got to get 2 more ordered...or make them myself! Not sure which I'll do, but I've got a while until I get to the ankles so we shall see.

Earlier in the day I'd masked off the area on the inner dome that gets painted, took it outside, and primered and painted it in between resin washing sessions. When I was nearly done, I noticed that I'd forgotten to sand the spin lines down, and now they show through!! Ack! Not sure what I'm going to do about this, but as it's now dark I'll figure it out tomorrow... *sigh*



As I'm hoping to start painting my resin dome parts tomorrow, I finished the day by grinding down the back of the radar eye, and trimming the logics a bit for perfect fit. I think everything's ready for paint!



Hopefully I'll be staying on this roll! :-D

2 comments:

  1. Arg doing dishes doesn't sound like fun to me.

    You sure are coming along nicely though.

    ReplyDelete