Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Little Bit of This, a Little Bit of That

Spent the little building time I had today on a few miscellaneous chores.

First, I peeled back the masking in the radar eye to see how the aluminum paint had survived. Not bad! I had to touch up a spot or two with a silver pen, but it'll do.



After that I primered and painted the small skin bits I'd forgotten about. I'll let them dry thoroughly overnight and affix 'em tomorrow.



I had hubby hold the dome on the top edge of the dome ring so I could mark the spots that need to be cut away to accomodate electronics. I've been following Victor's blog, and I've decided I'm going to copy him, and mount all my dome electronics to the ring. I'm going to copy his "housings" too - except with stryrene instead of PVC. Thanks, Victor -- super ideas!!



Next up was test placement of the radar eye. I traced around it, and marked where I think good holes for bolts might go.



Then I remembered the radar eye lens! Omitting THAT would have been embarrassing...
I marked the inside of the radar eye using a pencil.



Then I Dremeled out a groove for the rim of the eye.



I attemped to attach the lens using CA glue, but somehow this did not work out. I've since decided to get all the mounting holes drilled first, then come back to this part. Knowing me, I'll somehow damage that lens if it's installed too early!

I got out my Dremel drill press (not yet used) and will do some tests using it tomorrow. Hopefully it will be sufficient for my needs. If not, I'll just buy a drill press! I'm off to read the manual...Happy Droiding!

No comments:

Post a Comment