Tuesday, January 18, 2011

All the Way to Eleven!!

Yep, this is the first month since I've started this blog that I've gone over 10 posts! And that was back in May 2010 -- the first month I really started building. Woo!

I'd hoped to get more done today, but we all know how that can go...

Last night when I got home from the hardware store I sorted out my swag -- I had all these little baggies from some old project, so I matched all the bolts with their nuts and washers and grouped them in the bags, labeling them by part to which they belonged.



Today I began work by fixing some things that were bugging me. First off -- the pesky radar eye just wasn't flush enough against the dome. I'd already decided it needed more paint, so I went ahead with the sanding down first.



Then, one of the panels which poked out a bit at the top got some more silicon, and a creative clamp-down.



I decided it still didn't look right (it was bowing out in the middle) so I used a screwdriver to pry it completely off. Yep! As suspected, there was just too much silicon in there!



I scraped it off both the inner dome, and the panel.



I also bent it into proper shape using my super-human strength! A thin layer of silicone, and it's fits like a charm now! You can also see where I've prepped the dome for drilling...



Strangely, I forgot to take a picture of the drilled holes. Oh well, trust me -- they're there!

Next I used a hacksaw to chop off the heads on the machine screws which will be glued into the back of the radar eye.



After placing the radar eye on the dome, marking where to drill on its underbelly, and putting little guidemarks on the side of the eye to keep things level (relatively, anyway), I used my Dremel drill press to get the bolt-holes done. Test fitted the bolts (er- screws)...looks like they'll be easy to get on the dome!



We'd decided to run out to do errands (like replacing my missing hardware) and I was getting up to get ready, when I tripped on the drill cord and went flying across the room. I've messed up my knee -- so no errands, and no more droid work this evening. :-(

2 comments:

  1. Totally enjoying this, keep up the good work!

    -Victor

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Victor!

    Folks, Victor keeps one of the best droid-blogs around -- it's a must-read for a builder! Also, Victor spent a lot of time talking to me long ago when I was but a noob. His encouragement is one of the reasons I had the confidence to actually jump into this project. :-) Thanks, Victor, again!

    ReplyDelete