Friday, June 14, 2013

Random Building

In order to make progress on the droid, many of my build days involve skipping randomly (and a bit frenetically) from one little bit to another. Yesterday was like that! 

I began with more painting. Rather than use the blue painter's tape, I thought I'd try masking with some heavy-duty post-it notes I had. Why do I keep trying to reinvent the wheel? Using tried practices would save me much time and frustration!  I guess it's my creative side... Anyway, here is the center foot all "masked" with stickies:


And here is the unlovely result:


Even worse on the back side. Well, there wasn't a "back side" until now!


Luckily, that was the only part I tried my masking experiment on, as all the other parts were just getting more coats today:


And, a little bit of artsy "weathering."


Next came work on my shoulder "FrankenHubs."  I'm marrying Dave Everett's design with the A&A hubs. First I glue some of the Dave E hub plates together. They will be drilled out to match the A&As.


Enlarging the frame holes to match the A&A hub holes:


Finally, I used some scrap to make a little support plate for the Large Data Port. This part of the frame seemed really flimsy, and I had no idea how else to get the LDP in. Let's hope this works!


The rest of my build time was spent thinking thinking THINKING. It took quite a while to figure out how I'd handle the FrankenHubs (and to list for myself the hardware I need to buy), and to plan getting the LDP in, and all the leg greeblies on. Today I'm getting myself to the hardware store to get fasteners, because STUFF NEEDS AFFIXING! And SOON! :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment