Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Catching up with the Blog!

Sorry to have been away again, but I was actually getting a bit of building done!  Some time in late May I began working on my outer feet. I began with the motor mount bits, some of which were a bit difficult to cut...


The standard use of X-acto blade wasn't going to work here, so I dug out my little saw:


...and promptly broke the blade!


Never fear! I found my spare blades and finished this bit up. I was planning to get straight into building the styrene feet when I heard a lovely rumor that resin outer feet might be possible sooooon! Since I'd decided those were what I wanted I put the feet aside while waiting, and went back to the legs.

This work was done today. I planned to bondo the rough sides and sand before painting, but I'd bought bondo glaze and not putty. Don't buy this stuff -- it's stinky and useless!


I also noticed that the glue I'd used did not want to hold these shiny bits together...the second the legs were out in the heat and humidity there was failure. 


I got out my new all-purpose Weld-On and fixed that area, and then affixed the skins rather than go out hunting for Bondo. I'll still need to get some at some point, but I wanted to move these legs along!


I also moved forward on getting all my remaining pieces sanded, primed and painted!


Here I sand the wrong side of the horseshoes! :-)


First layers of color for the leg parts: 


And first layers of metallic paints for the two legs:


I'm starting to feel as if leg assembly is around the corner! Wooooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment