Sunday, June 27, 2010

I'm in the Cutting Home Stretch!

And other sentences I'd never expected to type.

Well, I'd hoped to be done with all the cutting of the styrene today (or was that weeks ago?), but...at least yesterday I finished all the straight cuts!

Today was routering circular cuts day; I'd wanted backup at home in case something went terribly wrong, plus I wanted hubby to document it! So, he observed in a worried fashion, and took a photo or two.

This is surely the messiest thing we've ever attempted inside the apartment! Does anyone out there need some fake snow for their low-budget movie? I've got quite a bit in my kitchen now...

Unfortunately today was also to be lesson-learning day: apparently it is unwise to let the router bit get too hot, as it rather easily melts plastic! *sigh*

Looks like tomorrow will include a trip to the hardware store for some new bits. And I'll miss my self-imposed cutting deadline - but only by one day!

2 comments:

  1. After everything cooled off I inspected the bit. Turns out, while it had gotten hot, that wasn't what melted the styrene. The bit had gotten knocked too far into the collet at some point, and the smooth upper part was left to spin into the plastic! No wonder it warmed up! Still have to replace that bit, as it has melted plastic all over it.

    Power tools are fun!

    ReplyDelete