Monday, January 17, 2011

This and That Part Deux

Today was almost too pretty to stay inside working on my droid...almost too pretty! ;-)

I began the day by attaching all the small skin parts that I'd needed to paint yesterday:





This went smoothly -- huzzah! One can see in the above pic one area where I failed to file down one of the frame uprights sufficiently, resulting in an unattractive bulge in the skin. Dave E warned us about this! Heed warnings! Don't be like me hahaha...

Below you can see the start of my patching job on the side where the skins don't meet. Some areas needed a small piece of styrene -- others will get some slurry (still not mixed) rubbed over them. After sanding, and a little blast of paint, I'm told it will look right as rain.



Moving all over the place again, I began the dome ring notches needed to fit the dome electronics. After the last Dremel disaster near finished surfaces I taped them off for protection.



I had hubby leave the drawing table and hold the ring down while I chiseled away at this. I made him wear a protective mask too!



After filing, the cuts looked pretty nice!



Next I tested out my Dremel drill press on a piece of scrap styrene. Woooohoooo! It's going to work!



I was planning to start drilling the dome and resin eye (and maybe the Rockler bearing too), but instead decided to jump ahead a bit and run to the hardware store for some of the needed...hardware. Unfortunately when I got home, several critical bits were missing?! How does this happen? Those bolts are hiding out in the land of the missing socks, no doubt.

Oh well...will continue tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment