Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Gimme Some Skin!

So I spent a couple of days fussing with my inner skins -- I'd tape them on, find a gap, pull them off and try again! I must have re-taped them down about six times before I was not completely displeased. They are still not perfect, but I had to commit at some point! I carefully glued each seam and let the droid sit for a full day while the Weld-On did its thing.

Well, it worked! This droid is now solid as a rock...woooo!

Today I fussed some more -- filling in a couple of spots with some scrap styrene. I then taped on the outer skins in preparation for my special "faux aluminum frame" experiment. I ran pencil lines along each spot where the inner skin would peep through (unless it was to be a white area -- those I just marked for paint). Then I affixed metallic tape along each line. This should create the illusion of an aluminum skin...I hope! I plan to paint the outer skins (in curved position) off of the droid so I don't lose this effect.

Unfortunately, I ran out of tape precisely when my local hobby shop closed. Will continue tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Oh wow! This is coming along great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man! that is a cool idea! wish i would have waited to do my skin now! I will prob end up hand painting all those lines!!^%^%$^%#%$%#%$

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave, it was a last-minute idea...and I sure hope it works when it comes time to glue on the outer skins!

    ReplyDelete