Saturday, May 29, 2010

The Dremel Router Experiment

Okay, so Dave E. advised against trying to use the Dremel as a router (he'd said he burned one out). Still, I had a router attachment, plus an extra Dremel, so I thought I'd give it a shot. You see, cutting out the round parts requires non-straight scoring, and using a pivot-point is key. Here's the first pass (not bad!):


Unfortunately I wasn't seeing how badly the Dremel was chewing up the styrene! When I was finished, the cut just looked...REALLY CHEWED! Chewie, I daresay. Sorry, it had to be said. Romngowhawaggghayy!



Oh well! I'm going to need to reprint that pattern, and dig out hubby's proper router and go ahead with plan B -- the building of a router table as suggested by Dave E.!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bith, just a quick hint:

    My first round looked the same as yours and I recognized it has to be an other dremel router bit. I first used the common 3.2 mm router bit with lots of small blades.
    I then took the dremel bit with only 2 blades with not too much torque ... just use the mid tempo on the dremel, that´s enough for the 2 bladed router tip.

    I used this one for almost perfect cuts:
    http://www.dremeleurope.com/dremelocs-de/Product.jsp;jsessionid=A58B2AAFE7F5CB5742A214BB8742D035?&ccat_id=482&prod_id=133

    This site is in german, but the tool is the same everywhere. :-)

    Best,
    mmgraphics of astromech.net
    www.mmgraphics.de/serendipity

    ReplyDelete